- It is Time to Buy Beaten Down Healthcare Stocks
(September 29, 2015)
- How To Make A Double Trading 3xleveraged Gold Miner ETF In A Week
(September 4, 2015)
- Market Bounced. What is the Next? (August 30,2015)
- Has the Market Entered its Bear Phase? (August 23,2015)
- Signs of Market Weakness (July 12, 2015)
- JNUG - Doubled In Three Weeks (April 22, 2015)
- Gold via Fed Fund Interest Rate
- An Historical Prospect (March 8, 2015
- Crude Oil - Don't Be Too Optimistic (February 16, 2015)
- Gold - It May Have Topped (January 22, 2015)
- Our View On Coming Market Direction
(August 10, 14)
- In Search of the Next Multi-Baggers
(August 01, 14)
- Market Has Topped. Prepare for Market Correction
(September 22, 13)
- GLD - The Last Drop. Bought NUGT
(June 26, 13)
- GLD - Bottom Is In But Do Not Chase It
(June 02, 13)
- ReneSola Earnings Preview: What to Look For
(May 12, 13)
- Good Year for Our Short Term Play
(April 14, 13)
- The US Stock Market Will See New Highs in 2013
(January 02, 13)
- 10 Stocks That Could Be Doubled In Value During January Rally
(December 16, 12)
- Monthly Market Review And January Rally
(December 02, 12)
- Top 20 Gainers For The Week Of September 17 - 21, 2012
(September 17, 12)
- The Market - Will We See A Repeat Of 2008 Crash?
(June 26, 12)
- 2012 Will Be a Very Good Year for the US Stock Market
(January 02, 12)
- The Market Will Keep the Momentum in 2011
(January 15, 11)
- The Market Will Have a Good Run Over the Next Two Months
(August 22, 10)
- RAIT Financial Trust - Revisited
(August 14, 10)
- KKR Financial Holdings: A Value Investment Pick
(August 06, 10)
- Are We Going into Another Depression?
(July 05, 10)
- Why RAIT Financial Trust Looks Like a Comfy Investment
(Apr 23, 10)
- CELM - Not All Chinese ADRs Are the Same
(Apr 22, 10)
- Super Star Pick of the Day - PMI
(Mar 31, 10)
- Gold Prices for the Year of 2010 Revisited
(Mar 23, 10)
- The Near Term Outlook for Major Solar Stocks
(Mar 17, 10)
- Value Investing for Your Retirement - Next Pick
(Feb 20, 10)
- The Near Term Trend for Chinese Solar Stocks
(Feb 11, 10)
- Where Will Gold Price be Heading for 2010
(Feb 06, 10)
- Value Investing for Your Retirement - KFN
(Jan 05, 10)
- Super Star Pick of the Day - SANM
(Dec 07, 09)
- Will October's Market Minic September's Comeback?
(Oct 02, 09)
- Sinovac Biotech: Still Worth Owning?
(Sep 21, 09)
- Super Star Pick of the Day - KFN
(Aug 31, 09)
- Super Star Pick of the Day - GCI
(Aug 27, 09)
- Super Star Pick of the Day - RTK
(Aug 19, 09)
- Super Star Pick of the Day - AIG (Aug 08, 09)
- Super Star Pick of the Day - MNI
(Aug 03, 09)
- Market Trend and Our Strategy to Pick Our Next Big Winners
(Jul 25, 09)
- Buying on Fear (Jul 07, 09)
- Hot Stock of the Day - FITB (May 11, 09)
- Hot Stock of the day - BAC
(May 09, 09)
- Hot Stock of the Day - BRCD (May 08, 09)
- Hot Stock of the Day - ASH (May 07, 09)
- Value Investing for Your Retirement - MTL (Feb 01, 09)
- Value Investing for Your Retirement - BK (Jan 17, 09)
- Don't Fall on the Trap of Short ETFs
(Jan 03, 09)
- How Long Will This US Stock Bear Market Last?
(Oct 13, 08)
- Once in a Century Financial Crisis Once in a
Lifetime Investment Opportunity
(Sep 26, 08)
- Buy Open Gap Down at Support
(Aug 26, 08)
The Near Term Outlook for Major Solar Stocks
March 17, 2010
In our February 11, 2010 featured article, we gave our view on the near term trend for Chinese solar stocks
The near future is not bright for the sector as a whole and we are not placing any of Chinese solar stocks in our long term buy-and-hold list.
Now one month has passed and most of the solar companies have reported their earnings and also given their guidelines.
The following table showed the result:
- Q4 EST and ACT is the company's Q4 2009 estimated earnings and actual results
- Q1 and Q2 EST are projected Q1 and Q2 earnings.
- 2010 and 2011 EST are estimated earnings for both years.
- Growth EST (%) is the estimated growth rate for 2010 to 2011.
- cPrice is the close price at March 16, 2010.
- PE 10 and PE 11 est are protected PE value for 2010 and 2011 based on all the given numbers.
As of this writing, two companies have yet to report Q4 numbers (LDK and SPWRA) and some numbers are still in the air.
The table is sorted based on 2010 PE.
1. Two companies have negative growth rate: CSUN (-18.32%) and SOLR (-8.77%). Therefore their PE 10 is the lowest among all solar stocks.
2. SOL has a very low PE value and high +32.08% growth rate. That is because it missed its Q4 2009 numbers. If the company does deliver expected earnings in Q1 2010, it is undervalued.
3. WFR has the highest growth rate (+59.21%) among all solar stocks but a very low PE (only 18.55). That is because the company missed Q4 numbers and the market does not trust its future earning projection right now.
4. FSLR and TSL's estimated growth rate agree with their projected 2010 PE. But these two companies consistently beat estimate by big margins. We consider those two have the best price gain potential. If FSLR can grow at a 25% rate for 2010 and 2011, our fair valuation will be $150.00. If TSL can put a 15% growth rate, we will give it $30 price tag.
5. SPWRA and LDK will report in coming days and we will give our view later.
6. JASO is fairly valued and will be traded in a range in the next few months.
7. YGE and SOLF data is not complete and we cannot give our valuation right now.
8. Most of the stocks in this table have very limited downside risks. On the other hand, many have no big up move potential in the near term. Short term trading opportunities do exist from time to time. The future trend depends on their future earnings.
Remember, high demand, high revenue growth does not translate into better earnings. Also remember, company's future capacity expansion may need further financing and may create higher risks.